April 14, 2016

Sihanoukville to Koh Rong Samloem



It is early, I woke up just before sunrise. I walk by the water, my eyes on the horizon. Only a few people are out at this time of the day. I slept well overall, even though I was awaken a few times when a man tried to open the door of my bungalow, I yelled at him to "get the f*ck out" and got a "sorry sorry", I dare hope it was just a drunk neighbour who mistakenly thought my bungalow was his... could have been a local thief though... The sound of the waves is relaxing, but the sight of the trash left behind from the night is saddening. Little by little, life awakens, cafes reopen. I return to my bungalow to sleep a few hours more.

Il est tôt, je me reveille juste avant le lever du soleil. Je marche sur la plage. Il a peu de monde dehors a cet heure ci. J'ai bien dormi, même si a un moment de la nuit quelqu'un a essayé d'ouvrir la porte de mon bungalow. Tout etait fermé a clefs bien sur. Je dit a la personne de "degager". Il me repond "oh désolé, désolé." Je pense que c'etait un voisin un peu trop alcolisé qui s'est trompé de porte...? Je constate les detritus aprés la soirée de la veille, la plage en est jonché. Petit a petit, la vie reprend son court, les cafés reouvrent. Je retourne a mon bungalow pour dormir quelques heures de plus.




For breakfast, I will have a Amok curry with fish, a traditional Cambodian dish. As I was waiting for my food to come, the beach lady from yesterday walks by, I offer her an iced coffee (she refused many times but finally gave in) we chitchat for a while, then goes back to work. My Fish Amok arrives. Although not cooked and served in a banana leaf, it is still mouth-watering. As often, I was enjoying eating by the sea when a nosey group of Chinese appeared out of the blue. The will even sit at my table and watch me eat... I quickly finish my food and return to my bungalow to pack my bag.

Pour le petit dèjeuné, je commande un Curry Amok au poisson, un des plats traditionel du Cambodge. Delicieux. Je profite de l'air frais et du silence matinal quand un groupe de Chinois vient s'assoir a ma table. Ils me regarde manger, rigole... je fini mon plat rapidement et retourne a mon bungalow pour faire mon sac.



It is 11am, I check out from the resort, and walk to the pier where the speedboat to Koh Rong Samloem should leave in an hour from now. Of course it is late, we wait in the blazing heat. The Chinese are here, well prepared with bags full of food, prawns and other smelly food. I fall asleep in the boat and wake up in a beautiful paradise!

Il est 11 heure du matin, je rend les clefs de mon bungalow et je marche en direction du jetty. Le speedboat en direction de Koh Rong Samloem devrait partir dans une heure. Le bateau est en retard, on patiente dans la chaleur. Les Chinois sont la, avec leurs sachet plastique remplis de nourriture, des crevettes et autre truck qui ne puent pas du tout. Je m'endors sur le beateau et me reveille sur une île paradisiaque!


I is smoking hot. No roads nor tuk tuks on this island. I walk to the other side of the beach. I look for The Beach Resort, from where I reserved a one night stay in the open air dorm. I check in and extend my reservation of two nights more. The dorm is located on the beach, which means that while sitting on your bed, you can enjoy the cool sea breeze and enjoy the view. I LOVE IT! I will spend the rest of the day swimming in the pristine water... so peaceful.

Il fait trés chaud. Ici pas de route, ni de tuk tuk. Je marche á l'autre bout de la plage. Je trouve mon logement The Beach Resort, j'y ai reservé une nuit dans le dortoir a ciel ouvert, je prolonge ma reservation de deux nuit de plus. Le dortoir est situé sur la plage. De mon lit je profite de l'air frais de la mer ainsi que du paysage. SUPERBE! Je passe le reste de la journée a nager, la mer est limpide...




For dinner I will enjoy a beef lok lak, while watching a couple of puppies playing with each other. 

Pour le dîner je deguste un Lok Lak de boeuf en compagnie de chiots trop mimi.







The sun is slowly setting, the colors become more and more surreal. 

Le soleil se couche lentement, les couleur deviennent de plus en plus féerique.



I stay up after night fall, I walk around hoping to catch a glimpse of the luminescent plankton. Unfortunately, the lights from the pier are too bright. They will leave those lights on for the Khmer new year, bad luck for me! I fall asleep to the sound of the waves...

Aprés la nuit tombé, je marche sur la plage esperant pouvoir observer du plancton luminescent. Pas de chance, les lumières du jetty sont trop forte. Ils vont les laisser allumé toute la nuit a cause du nouvel an Khmer. Je m'endors au bruit des vagues...


Accomodation: The Beach Resort, Koh Rong Samloem