April 22, 2016

Traveling to Cambodia, tips, ideas, stay safe.





What did I like the most in Cambodia?

Cambodia has been my favorite country to travel in Southeast Asia, I loved the authenticity of the place. I adored the countryside, the ancient history, the simplicity of life. But what I truly loved the most was the kindness of the people! Beautiful smiles!


Things I disliked?

My experience in Cambodia was pretty positive, although I have had a few (literally two) encounters with aggressive individuals. For example, during the taxi ride from the Siem Reap airport to my hotel, my driver offered his services as a guide for the Angkor temples. I had just arrived in Cambodia and I did not yet know exactly know what my plans were, so I told him to give me his phone number so I could contact him when I know better. He angrily replied that I could not come here and not know what I want to do, I have to have a plan and that he knew tourists and that I would never call him back. "we airport taxi drivers don't get any salary blabla". We both remained quiet for the rest of the trip. The worst part is that I WAS interested in his services. What a dumbass...

An other negative aspect was the pollution, the country is literally filled with plastic trash, it seems that no education is done about that. I once bought a sugar cane juice by the side of the road, after finishing the drink I ask the lady where can I throw the plastic cup/bag/straw. She just made sign for me to throw it in the field nearby... a lot of trash is burnt in the evenings by the people, but this releases toxic fumes in the air...

Being seen as a walking wallet and/or a rich kid can be annoying at times. Yes we are considered rich in some parts of the world, but it doesn't mean that we can afford everything and anything.

And finally; the TOURISTS. The arrogant, unfriendly and rude tourists or the drunk and loud backpacker... I saw a local guide being yelled at by women in Angkor Wat. He seemed happy to tell them the stories and legends about the place, but those women literately told him to "shut up already, we have friends waiting for us inside" "I don't care what you are telling bring us inside" "Enough! You shut up!"... I was so shocked and sad for that lovely guide. :(




Was it easy to travel in Cambodia?

It was relatively easy to travel between cities in Cambodia, there are a lot of buses and mini van services available. Just ask your guesthouse/hotel/hostel and you will be picked up straight from there.

Was it expensive?

Cheap! Although the average price of the food surprised me as it was quite pricey. I paid on average 5 euros for my diner. Shopping in a grocery store is also expensive, I preferred buying from the locals "dirty shops", there is one at every corner, always a great service and the money goes to a family not a to a big business run by a rich man. Accommodation is cheap on the other hand.




Was it easy to communicate with locals?

Not always, but people were always eager to try to understand. I didn't have any issues with communication. :)

Was it easy to enter/leave the country?

A piece of cake! I entered the country in Siem Reap, I flew from Bangkok (I got a super cheap flight with Airasia) to Siem Reap, paid the visa fee and got my passport back with the stamp. There was a short wait but the airport is big and very clean. There are a few ATM machines right before the immigration.

I left Cambodia for Vietnam through the Prek Chak border crossing. I traveled from Kep to Ha Tien by mini van. Everything went well and smooth.



Did I feel safe in Cambodia?

I felt relatively safe throughout the country, although I avoided going out alone at night and in shady looking streets. I would be careful in Sihanoukville, I have heard many stories about thieves breaking into hotel rooms, knife robberies and bag snatching. Common sense is key anyway and anywhere!

Wildlife can be deadly, always be aware of your surroundings, check your shoes before putting your feet in them, don't walk in the jungle alone at night, etc. It is rare to get bitten by a snake or a deadly spider, but it can happen. Mosquitoes should be number one of you worries by the way!

Would I imagine myself living in Cambodia? If yes where?

I loved the area near Kep, I could easily imagine having a lovely house over there. :)



Tips:

Arrange a transfer to your hotel before arriving at the airport, you will avoid getting into troubles with an dishonest driver.


Anecdotes, details: 

I loved to see women working on construction sites, building roads and houses alongside their fellow men.

While travelling in Southeast Asia, one should not think that a bus leaving at 14:00 will live on time. It is most likely to leave by 14:15 or even 14:45. And it was never an issue for me, I didn't consider it like a wait as I was in a "go with the flow" mood.

Remember the history of the country when meeting elderly, they might look tired or sad but they have lived through the Khmer Rouge. I met a few old men who spoke a few words of French too, one of them working as a guard in the Beng Mealea temple. I regret not spending more time chatting with him.



1 comment: