August 06, 2015

Norway: Besseggen ridge in Jotunheimen National Park

Thursday 6th of August

Day 6:

Beautiful morning in Jotunheimen National Park, the giants are stunning. I prepare my breakfast, wash myself in the river without shivering. Oh how happy are the sunny days!

Today, we will be hiking the Besseggen ridge. To avoid the crowds, we will start the hike from Gjendesheim instead of taking the ferry to Memurubu. 

The first climb is arduous, 5 kilometers upwards. The sight is rocky and breathtaking. We are almost alone on the path until half way, where we meet a huge crowd of rude tourist, loud and constantly cutting the road or walking very close behind me. No peace, no way to enjoy what I came here for; the Nature. I will not speak more about the way those individuals behaved, it was disgusting. When a beautiful natural sight becomes a tourist attraction... nothing good can come out of it. The parking will cost you an arm, even more if you stay overnight and you might have to use the shuttle bus to get to the beginning of the hike. (We did not bother wait for it, we just walked.)

Overall, it was a great idea to start hiking against the crowds, the views were wonderful.