April 29, 2016

Snorkeling in Mu ko Similan National Park.

Mu ko similan national park day trip speed boat snorkelling blue  water paradise tourist travel log anaith


NOTE: Unfortunately I have lost all the footage of the snorkelling from this day.

8 am, the pick up van is in the drive way. I am the first to be picked up, I sit at the front. We pick up tourists along the way. First a group of asian teenagers, obsessed by taking selfies of themselves, each on their own smartphones. Then a honey moon couple lodging at a four star resort down the road and off we go. Sitting in the front sit might not have been a great idea, I have seen my life pass before my eyes maybe three times during the short ride. Ah Asian driving...

I really enjoy looking outside the window, there seems to be a big number of Burmese here. They are easily distinguishable, as most of them apply thanaka powder on their faces. Old men sleep in their hammock places under theirs bamboo houses and children play with stray dogs. We arrive at the pier. We get our equipment and enjoy the buffet breakfast. The place is packed, it is loud and I'm affraid for the rest...
Each of us were given a bracelet with the color of our group. People start to gather around me, alright, let me be the leader. For once. We soon embark on the speed boat. We will have three snorkeling location, the first one near a big rock, with one huge coral. It is quite deep and the visibility is not too good. (As expected by end of April), we are called back to the boat. I feel like I have spent only five minutes under water. I am surprised at how many people don't know how to swim, they just hang around on the boat never setting food in the sea. The second snorkeling spot is by the beach next to the National Park HQ, where we are left here for an hour and a half. I head to the restaurant for lunch, the food is alright I guess. I feel sick; there are a thousand of tourists on the beach... this place is a joke, why do they even call this a National Park? Trash is all around... Most of my group follows our leader to the top of the rock to get the view from up there. I decide to go down to the snorkeling spot. The currants are strong, I manage to swim a bit further. I spot a few signs of wildlife, some barracudas and other cool fishes. I swim back to the beach I didn't take my fins, it makes the swimming part quite tough, the currant are strong by the rocks. What a dummy!

I walk a bit further from the main beach, and I find myself ALONE. Wait nope, a beautiful Chinese girl in a long white dress and huge beach hat get a few shots for her Instagram. Now, now I am all alone.

sea star seastar daytrip similan islands snorkeling boat speed tourist review happy journey



I walk back to the main area, I don't have my phone so I don't know what time it is. I recognize the Bangladeshi family that are on the same group than I. I chat with the uncle, he has never learnt how to swim and is too scared to even have water higher than his knees. I try to persuade him that it is not too difficult, and that being in Thailand might be a good time for him to learn. He agrees, but confess that he is terrified. 

It is time to go back on the boat, FINALLY. This place feels like hell to me, such a waste. We are heading to our next snorkeling destination. The sun hides behind the clouds and the visibility isn't too good as the corals are deep but I really enjoy it. The corals look healthy and fishes roam happily under me. Once again the currants are strong, I let myself go with the flow as I am wearing a life vest. It is soon time to get back to the boat, and back to the pier where I wash off the salt in the shower and try to eat as much food as I possibly can. I am hanging out with a German middle aged guy that is also back from the Similan. He was rather unpleased with the experience, and I couldn't agree more with him. 

We drive back to Khao Lak, I guess I never learn as I end up sitting in the front seat again. I see a huge number of Burmese men riding their scooter on the opposite direction, their faces covered in thanaka powder. Maybe they go back home after a though day at work. Or maybe there is a big party? I don't know but it is fascinating.