April 13, 2016

Khmer New Year in Sihanoukville, Serendipity beach



I arrive early in Sihanoukville. The bus ride went well, I managed to sleep quite much. I catch a moto taxi, the driver is super nice. For tonight I have booked a bungalow on the Serendipity beach at Coasters Resort. I wait for a while for somebody to show up, whilst enjoying the cool morning air. Until a group of nosey, noisy Chinese appeared and sat all around me. Luckily, soon after they arrived, an old man came to ask if I was waiting to check in.





The bungalow seems great, I even discover that I have new tokay friend waiting for me in there, so shy hihi. 

Mon bungalow est confortable et propre. J'y decouvre même un mignon petit habitant; mon amis le tokay. Tout timide!





After resting for a few hours, I pull myself up and embrace the heat and the violent rays of the sun. I have to refill my waters, buy a bikini, a snorkeling equipment and sun glasses. Turns out Sihanoukville is super expensive, eight dollars for a bikini, eighteen for a poor set of mask and tuba (which I did not buy) and I gave up looking for real sun glasses. I also purchase my speedboat tickets for Koh Rong Samloem tomorrow! Exciting! 

Aprés m'être reposée quelques heures, je me decide enfin a sortir. Il fait trés chaud, il faut que je me reapprovisionne en eau, que je m'achete un bikini, un masque et un tuba et des lunettes de soleil.. Impossible de trouver un bikini pour moins de huit dollars, un set avec masque et tuba dix-huit dollars minimum! J'achete le bikini, obligée, je n'en ai pas rammené de Finlande. Je reerve aussi mon billet de speedboat pour Koh Rong Samloem demain! La première île de ce voyage!







After strolling around for a while, I stop for a few fruit shakes. When a lady comes by to ask if I wanted a threading (hair removal) for 14 dollars. I kindly refuse, she keeps on telling me to try a small part for free. I tell her that tomorrow morning I might do that before heading to the island. We hang out for a bit, she is a single mother of three children and she will be working for the Khmer new year. Her children live in the city, I assumed she meant that they were in a boarding school. By working on the beach she gets a good salary, so she says. But it is hard work,, the only piece of skin that are not covered by clothes are her eyes, red from the sun. She goes back to work, and I return to my bungalow.

Aprés avoir marché pendante quelques heures, je m'arréte a une terrace pour boire quelques jus de fruit et une noix de coco. Une femme vient s'assoir a coté de moi et me demande si je veux me faire epiler les jambes aux fils pour 14 dollars. Je refuse gentiment, elle insiste, je refuse a nouveau. On parle un peu, elle est mère des trois enfants, et elle travaillera tout le nouvel an Khmer. Ses enfant sont en ville, je pense qu'elle essaye de m'expliquer que ses enfants sont au pensionnat. Elle travaille tout les jours sur la plage, elle me raconte qu'elle gagne bien sa vie comme ca. Ses vetement la protège entièrement du soleil, a part ses yeux abimé et rouge. Elle retourne travailler et moi je retourne a mon bungalow.



Tonights diner, Khmer beef BBQ and a mojito. The owner of the restaurant is adorable, he tells me that his mojitos are the best in town. Eww nope not even close, the food is disappointing. 

Ce soir je mange un barbeque Khmer, filet de boeuf couvert d'une saucre sucrée. Pas trés bon. Le patron du restaurant est super gentil, il me dit que son mojito est le meilleur de Sihanoukville... non pas bon du tout. 



Tonight is the Khmer new year, music, lots of drinks. I retreat to my bungalow just after night fall. 

Ce soir c'est le nouvel an Khmer, musique, boissons. Je retourne a mon bungalow juste aprés la nuit tombé.



Accomodation: Coasters resort Sihanoukville