April 25, 2016

Vietnamese bakery and modern as F bus to Ho Chi Minh City

As always I wake up early. I really enjoy Can Tho it is busy but small enough to feel comfortable. I stroll around, stopping at the local pharmacy, the convenient store and browsing the clothing stores. People are super friendly and keep asking me "ha you live here!", "Oh good tattoos", "You like Viet Nam?" "You alone here?" - No but would love to, -Thank you, Cảm ơn! - I love it! - Yes I travel alone, but meet good friends along the way!

I visit the bakery called Saigon, and purchase a few delicacy. First of all a delicious Bánh mì, Vietnamese sandwich with French baguette. A chinese bean paste biscuit, a beautiful coconut and custard pastry and what seems to be almond flour cakes. Hmm! Total for the bill; 37 000 Dongs.






At around 11:30 am, my pick up van is here, I hop on it and we head to the Can Tho bus station. I buy my ticket to Ho Chi Minh, the bus is modern with blasting AC, the sit is a bit small for my legs but comfortable nonetheless.




I arrive in Saigon, take a taxi to my hotel. The traffic is chaotic. I meet Benoit's girlfriend, we exchange the passports and I check into my hotel. The receptionists are cool girls but remind me a bit of ladies of the night, anyway one of the girl brings me to my room. I get a three person room as the room I booked is not available. No problemo. I head out to find something to local to eat nearby, it might be too early I don't find any street food vendors and soon grow tired and claustrophobic. I opt for a small modern looking Vietnamese restaurant, probably a chain restaurant. I choose a good looking broth soup with rice noodles. It is good but I still want to find real local food. Tomorrow I will go on a hunt for food! 


I get back to my room, damn this place is loud, busy and polluted...  I catch a glimpse through my window of food stalls being set very late at night/early in the morning with loud customers sipping phò until about 4 am. I'm hungry again, but too lazy to go out this late/early. Actually I'm not sure I would feel comfortable going ou at that time of the day anyway. Nope, I haven't slept much that night.