May 12, 2016

A Day in Nakhon Si Thammarat


"Hey can you drive me to the temple?" The Wat Phra Mahathat Woramahawihan is a stunning buddhist temple, located in Nakhon Si Thammarat.




































The Nang Talung shadow puppet museum shouldn't be far, I will walk there. I buy some fruit from a seller and stop for an iced coffee in a hipster cafe. I walk around, trying to find my way to the museum, Google Maps seems to have the wrong address. I ask an older lady if she could help me find it. She knows where it is but doesn't speak English, the shop owner next door will help us. Finally, thanks to their instructions I manage to get to the place. The son of the famous puppeteer hands me a paper with all the information I need for the visit, nobody else is here.

After the visit, I thank my host and get ready to leave. "I show you how we make the puppets..", we work a few samples of leather together, it's a first for me and I have to admit that it's not my forte. Unfortunately I won't be able to assist to a show as I haven't informed of my comming earlier, I really enjoyed learning about the story of how Suchart Subsin devoted his life to the art of shadow puppetry.






I get back on a motorbike taxi, It is too hot to walk. On the way people wave at me and yell how cool my tattoos are, three times, three different people. How cool! The lovely driver drops me at the Big C supermarket, I will buy fruits and attempt to eat only fruits today... I have consumed so much meat, oil, msg, spices and rice that I just feel like I need to fast for a day at least, eating plenty of fruit and drinking plenty of water. I don't have more plans for today, so I will chill in my room, catching up on series and youtube videos. I head out to get a matcha chai latte I have been craving for, it's delicious.






Later that evening, I head out, I am SO hungry. Fruits are not enough, I need something solid. I buy some peanuts, and other local snacks from the 7-eleven. A weird man follows me for a few 20 meters, I look at him with a disaproving look, and he finally turns back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment