December 22, 2015

Speculoos or pipari christmas cookie butter recipe





Speculoos pipari christmas butter spread


Today, I am making a cookie butter that can be used as a spread on bread, crêpes or simply eaten with a spoon. I myself will use it in place of the chocolate topping in the traditional French Christmas recipe; Bûche de Noël or Yule Log. (I will post the recipe and photos tomorrow.)

Pipari cookie butter

Pipari cookie butter



I am using the traditional Finnish gingerbread here (pipari), because I live in Finland and I always try to find cool ways to use the local (sometimes boring) stuff. But any cookie type will do. I have a preference for the Dutch cookies speculoos, if you can get a hold of those just try them. Nam nam!

Ingredients:

- 300g of pipari (gingerbread or speculaas)
- 200ml of liquid cream OR unsweetened condensed milk. I am using an oat based cream here.
- 80g of cold butter, diced.
- a Tablespoon of vanilla sugar
Optional: a pinch of sea salt. It gives it a fine touch.


In a saucepan, bring the cream and the vanilla sugar to a quick simmer to dissolve the sugar and infuse the vanilla. Remove from the heat and let it cool.

In a blender, grind the cookies and sea salt in small batches, until fine. Leave some bits if you like it crunchy.

Pipari speculoos cookie butter

Add the cream and the butter and blend until you get a smooth texture. 

Speculoos pipari christmas butter spread

That's it, store in the fridge for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment